Media reaction so far:
"...the method of interaction is superbly unique."
"...a bit of technical innovation is needed to make a new game stand out. And that's where Quinn Genzel's new app R.I.P. really shines."
"A fascinating twist on the old virtual reality concept and one that - now we've actually seen it - seems like an obvious use of the iPhone's unique motion sensing system."
-- Pocket Gamer
"The innovation comes from the way you look around the 3D environment"
-- iPhone Games Network
"When I first laid eyes on the description for R.I.P. I knew I would have to try it."
-- iPhone Apps Review
"It isn't often that we run into something we simply haven't seen before, and R.I.P. fits that description.."
"...an interesting look at where iPhone games could be heading in the future: augmented reality."
-- Slide to Play
This game uses a unique, revolutionary means of control and play specially designed for the iPhone. It's like total 3D immersion virtual reality, but without the helmet or googles. The iPhone is used as a viewfinder into a virtual world that wraps completely around you. Aiming the phone downward shows you a virtual 'ground', while upward shows you 'tree tops' and 'sky'. Tilting the iPhone 90 degrees left or right shows you a corresponding view to the right or left of your ghost in the graveyard. From there, you can also look up and down (but in landscape mode). Gravity in this virtual world corresponds with that in the real world. See for yourself just what the iPhone is capable of!
R.I.P. is a 3D first-person simulation that casts you as a ghost lost in a cemetery. The goal is the same as its title: R.I.P. -- Rest In Peace. All you have to do is find your own grave, marked "R.I.P.", so that you can finally Rest In Peace. Are you up for the challenge?
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 2.3:
- Best Times now more easily accessible
- Code further optimized
- Minor bugs fixed
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 2.2:
- faster, smoother animation
- quicker gravity corrections when tilted left or right, or up or down
- control your turning speed by the angle you tilt your device (left or right) -- but don't make yourself dizzy!
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 2.1:
Fixed a major bug that caused occasional crashes in iPhone OS 3.0 -- just in time for Halloween!
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 2.0:
- two more new, creepy sounds have been added -- can you hear them?
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.9:
- added a scary lightning flash to accompany the existing lightning and thunder sound effect
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.8:
- added another new creepy sound
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.7:
- added a few new creepy sounds (cats, bats & ravens!)
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.4, 1.5, 1.6:
- code further optimized for noticeably faster, smoother play
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.3:
- creepy intro music added
- multi-touch control enabled (for faster and smoother floating around the graveyard)
- code further optimized for faster play
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.2:
- even better control and movement
- more atmospheric graphics
- higher flying ghost
WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 1.1:
- better controls (tilt for turning, faster movement)
- better graphics (more realistic ground and ghosts)
- faster, smoother gameplay